01 June, 2008

The decline of Gentoo

Recently I am considering the aluminum iMac as my next workstation. After all I don't make the decision on 20" or 24" yet. The hardware design is excellent.

Hence, I have to do some studies on how well such machine is supported by Linux. And yet, I found one excellent writeup on Ubuntu wiki.

During the googling, I realized one thing: Ubuntu has a vibrant user community.

Sometimes (quite a few years) ago, Gentoo is my only OS in my box.

In my memory it have the best quality documentation and the most vibrant user communities. But this situation is changed. The notable trend is that, recently, whenever I'd like to search for some hardware / kernel related info, the page is hosted ubuntu wiki.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yep, hardware diversity is one big place where you'll see a difference between quality and quantity.

Anonymous said...

girls would say it's about quantity