21 June, 2008

Recover the data on iPhone

Recently, I bricked my iPhone again (the third times). I've some photo which haven't yet uploaded to my album, hence I really want to find a way to recover my photos.

As I don't get any good solution, I managed to restore it and use a simple tricks to dump the iphone disk image, then, use some common data recovery tools to help the process.

To dump the image into a disk file (in your desktop), run the following in the iphone:

root@my-iphone> dd if=/dev/disk0 | ssh username@mydesktop 'dd of=iphone-dump.img'

When this is finished, you can use some tools to recover the file on the disk image.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

The same thing happened to me! I'm about to try this, but I'm not very familiar with Unix. When I run this command on my iPhone, will it copy the image file to my Linux box on the fly, or does it copy the file after the whole thing has finished? I started it a little while ago, then stopped it after about two minutes just to see if it was working. The iPhone said that xxx bytes had been transferred, but I could not find the file anywhere on my Linux machine! Does it not show up until the process completes?

Also, can you recommend any data recovery tools that I can use to extract my photos from the image file?

Thanks!

Zarick Lau said...

The file can be found in the home directory on the ssh server.

Under Linux, the file should appear immediately you start the process.

And regarding tools, I use PhotoRec, which is an open source tool for data recovery. Pls note that, you may need to set TERM=vt102 before running this tool in Linux command line env.

Unknown said...

Thanks for the quick reply!

It turns out that I'm getting a connection refused/timeout on my iPhone after executing this command. I'm guessing that Ubuntu is blocking port 22, since I can successfully send pings back and forth. I'm going to go research how to fix it. Hopefully that's the cause of my problem!

Thanks again!

iUm said...

Guys!!! i need your help! Explane me please in details how to copy dd to the phone, launch it and get the entire dump disk copy? i really need it

Unknown said...

Try this. It goes into a little more detail.

http://www.modmyifone.com/forums/file-mods/237321-how-iphone-data-recovery.html#post1484071

Unknown said...

Hi!! i just don't know why the file transfer operation always stop after few ten MB of the iphone image has tranferred to my desktop PC ... do you have any idea on why this will happen? many thanks.

Zarick Lau said...

Michael, are you using the dd commands?